Have you ever considered changing energy suppliers? Does it seem like a lot of hassle for very few benefits? You are not alone. According to a recent study, 33% of Brits are concerned about their energy bills but almost half of British bill payers admit that they don’t feel it’d save them much money and a quarter said that shopping around would be “too much hassle”.
Dermot Nolan, Chief Executive at Ofgem says, “We shop and compare prices for many things in life, yet we often don’t think to do the same when it comes to our energy bills, even when we could be saving around £200. Previously, people found it difficult to compare tariffs and the process too time consuming but the recent reforms have changed things for the better. With the introduction of ‘Be An Energy Shopper’ it has never been easier to go energy shopping and get a better deal on your gas and electricity.”
If this is the case and you really could be saving up to £200, what are you waiting for? The best options for energy saving deals that work best for you are price comparison websites such as moneysupermarket and Uswitch. These take into consideration your personal circumstances and make a decision based on these. Another thing to take into consideration is who can give you a deal with longevity? Scottish Hydro has a price freeze promise which lasts until 2016- the longest ever unconditional domestic energy price freeze. Two years without worrying about sky-high energy bills? Count me in!
Obviously, there is a lot to take into consideration when switching energy providers. Will you incur a charge for leaving your current provider? Do they have good reviews online? What’s in the small print? Are you in debt with your current provider?
When it comes to change, most of us are uncomfortable and stick to what we know but when there are savings of up to £200 to be made then it seems a little less scary and a little more necessary. Switching isn’t as complicated as it may seem and the money you save could go towards trips away, little luxuries or savings. Going ‘Energy Shopping’ is something everybody should consider doing every year or so. A little effort goes a long way.
How To Change Energy Supplier
Below is all the information that you will need should you wish to change energy suppliers.
Before You Change Energy Provider:
- Take note of your annual consumption figures
- Take note of your current tariff and everything it entails
- Your latest energy bill
- Your annual summary
If you are struggling to find any of the above information, request it from your current energy provider
Before Confirming Your Exit:
- Find out if there is an exit tariff and if so, how much it is
- Speak to your current provider to see if there is a better offer available to you
- Use energy price comparison sites to see the deals available to you
- Look at individual supplier’s current offers
- Contact your new supplier to confirm your move or use a switching website who will do all the work for you
- Pay any debts owed to your current provider
- Always keep an eye on current deals and offers from your provider- you could save a lot of money just by staying on top of what’s new and available!